- Look at several instructions (for a specific plan) for elementary students. Match with tasks.
|1||Now we are going to do the listening comprehension task. Listen and fill in the gaps with the appropriate word.||My grandparents were Russian but they met in London
Она была служанкой в России и работала на богатую семью.
They took my grandmother and some of their servants with them to London.
У них было слишком много служанок.
They went for a walk in the centre of London.
Они (Никогда) не вернулись.
She waited and waited.
Ей было 16.
She found some Russian people.
Русские люди привели бабушку в сообщество русских в Лондоне.
She met my grandfather in London.
Ему было 48 лет.
They had 2 children.
|2||Now you are A, you are B, so you are going to translate and you are going to check. Now, once again, what are you going to do?||
|3||So what I am doing now is I am giving you words and then I will ask you to say sentences about the woman and you are going to work in pairs. Mmmm… yes… I think that’s it.||1. David’s grandmother worked for a __________ family.
2. During First World War the family took David’s grandmother and some other ________with them.
3. The family did not have _________ to keep David’s grandmother.
4. The family went for a walk in the ______of London.
5. She was ________years old.
6. David’s grandmother found some ________people.
David’s grandparents had 2 _____________.
- What is wrong with each of these instructions? (S-S, WCFB)
(the language, the length, the running commentary, the amount of information, the “What are you going to do?”)
- Tick the things each instruction should have.
|Instruction||Tick good things to do|
|I need to use short simple words|
|I always tell what I am doing now|
|I always ask instructions checking questions|
|I demonstrate the activity (with somebody in the class)|
|I can use “what are you going to do?” to check the understanding of my instructions|
|I need to use hands and gestures.|
|I tell the students all the methodological thermins (ex.Now you will read for gist)|
|They open the books/I give out the worksheets before the instructions|
- Put these in order.
|I demonstrate the activity (if necessary) or ask instructions checking questions (ICQs)|
|I show (“chest”) the material they will be using in the next task|
|I tell them to open the books/ start doing the activity|
|I attract the Ss’ attention to me.|
|I give clear short instructions, possibly with hand gestures and mimics.|
|I tell the Ss to check in pairs and we check together as a group.|
|I tell how much time they have to complete the task|
|I monitor (walk and see if the Ss need help/repeat part of the instruction individually)|
|Then I relax and remind them when he time is over.|
- What instructions will you use for the tasks in 1? (s-s, give a chance for the excellent Ss to demonstrate)
- Groups of three. Give instructions to the tasks. (S-S-S, one by one they take printed tasks, adapt the instructions to elementary Ss)